- You must prove your identity and provide legal documents verifying your eligibility to live and work in Colorado.
- You must be at least 18 years old.
- You must provide proof of your Social Security number.
- You must provide proof that you have passed a DOT medical exam within the last two years.
- You must be able to pass the Commercial Drivers License Information System and National Driver Register records checks.
- You must pass the CDL knowledge tests that are required.
- After the above requirements have been met you will pay a $14 fee and an instruction permit will be issued to you.
Once you have passed the required knowledge tests and have your instruction permit, you will take the CDL driving skills tests. You will be tested on pre-trip inspection, basic vehicle control, and on road driving. The skills tests must be taken in the type of vehicle for which you are applying to be licensed.
A commercial driver’s license in Colorado is valid for four years and the licensing fee is $35. If your license has a motorcycle endorsement there is an additional two dollars surcharge added to the fee.
If you have additional questions about CDL training in Colorado you can contact the Colorado Department of Revenue/Division of Motor Vehicles at 303- 205-5613. The manual can be downloaded by clicking the following link: