- You will need your Connecticut driver’s license.
- Your original Social Security card or your most recent W-2 form. Laminated or metal Social Security card will not be accepted.
- You will need a physical exam by a medical examiner dated within the last 90 days. This must be reported on an Examination to Determine Physical Condition of Driver form in order to comply with DOT requirements.
- You must complete the Application for Commercial Drivers License.
The knowledge tests that are required during your CDL training in Connecticut will vary, depending on the vehicle class for which you are applying. The General Knowledge test and the Air Brakes test are included for all the vehicle classes.
To prepare for the General Knowledge test, it’s advisable to study the Connecticut Commercial Drivers Manual. You must have at least 24 correct responses out of 30 questions in order to pass the General Knowledge test. There is a $16 fee for the test, and the $30 skills test fee is also required at this time. If you fail the test, you can retake it the next business day, but the test fee must be paid again.
You cannot schedule a skills test until you have passed the required knowledge tests and have a Commercial Drivers Instruction Permit. Skills tests are given by appointment only and can be scheduled through the DMV phone center or at a DMV branch office.
Your CDL training in Connecticut requires that you meet the following requirements for the skills test. You must take the test in the same type of vehicle for the class of license for which you are applying. A driver with a valid CDL must accompany you to drive the vehicle to and from the test.
When you arrive to take your skills test be sure you have the following documents with you:
- Connecticut driver’s license
- Commercial Drivers Instruction Permit
- Validated goldenrod copy of the application for commercial drivers license showing that you paid the $30 test fee. If you lose the goldenrod copy you must complete a new form and repay the $30 test fee before you take the skills test.
- Appointment confirmation letter sent to you in the mail
- DMV form R-323 – Examination to Determine Physical Condition of Driver or the DOT medical examiner’s physical examination form C0730.
If you need additional information on CDL training in Connecticut you can contact the state of Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles at the following address:
State of Connecticut
Department of Motor Vehicles
60 State Street
Wethersfield, CT 06161