- You must be a minimum of 21 years old.
- You must verify that you meet the medical and physical requirements by submitting a DOT physical form.
- You must pass a vision test with a minimum of 20/40 in both eyes.
- You must own a valid Hawaii drivers license.
- You must provide a certified birth certificate.
- You must present your original Social Security card.
- You must supply a current front facial photo. The pictures should be no larger than a standard size photo and no smaller than a passport photograph.
- You must pass all the required written tests for the class of license for which you are applying.
You will be required to successfully pass the following tests in order to be issued a commercial drivers license:
- Gen. knowledge test.
- Air Brakes test if you will be driving a vehicle equipped with air brakes.
- Hazmat test if you will be carrying hazardous material that require placarding.
- Tanker endorsement test if the trailer tank exceeds 1000 gallons.
- Combination test or double/triple test if you will be driving a combination vehicle or pulling more than one trailer.
After the appropriate written tests have been completed, a CDL permit will be issued.
Once you have your permit, you will be eligible to take the rest of the required exams. You will need to schedule an appointment to be tested on your pre trip knowledge, your maneuvering skills, and your ability to operate a commercial vehicle on the road.
In the event you fail any test, you must wait at least one week before you become eligible to be retested. Additional fees may apply at that time.
Contact the Hawaii Department of Transportation at the following address if you have any questions about CDL training in Hawaii:
Hawaii Department of Transportation
869 Punchbowl Street
Honolulu, HI 96813
You can download a copy of the manual by clicking on the following link: