- You must be at least 18 years of age
- You must have a valid Idaho drivers license
- You must have at least one year of driving experience
- It is recommended to study Idaho is Commercial Drivers License Manual-this can be obtained from any county drivers license office
- You must provide your Social Security card
- You must be able to meet the DOT medical card requirements
- You must be able to take and successfully pass all the written tests as well as the skills test
To begin CDL training in Idaho, pick up the Commercial Drivers License Manual from any drivers license office. This will provide all the information you need to pass the written exams. You will also find information about the skills test requirements in the manual.
When you are ready to apply for your CDL, you will need to take your current drivers license, your Social Security card and the money to pay your fees to the county drivers license office. They will check your driving record and you will be able to take the required knowledge tests at that time.
When you have successfully passed the written tests, you need to schedule an appointment to take the skills tests with a CDL skills tester. Some testers provide vehicles you can rent in order to take your skills test. At the appointed time you will need to provide proof of identification, proof of insurance, and a receipt showing you passed the written test and paid for the skills test.
There are three parts to the skills tests: vehicle inspection, basic control, and the road test. Allow 2 to 3 hours to complete the skills test. If you fail a test you must wait at least three days before you are eligible to retake it. You will also be required to pay the fees again.
Listed below are the current CDL fees in Idaho:
- CDL license (4-year) $40.00
- CDL instruction permit $29.00
- Duplicate CDL or permit $15.00
- License upgrade $25.00
- Endorsement addition (after issuance of a CDL) $15.00
- Written tests (each) $ 3.00
- Skills test ($10 to Driver’s License Office, $60 to Skills Tester) $70.00
For additional information about CDL training in Idaho you may call the Division of Motor Vehicles at 208-334-8735 or contact the Idaho Transportation Department at the following address:
Idaho Transportation Department
3311 W. State St.
P.O. Box 7129
Boise, ID 83707-1129