- You must take and successfully pass a knowledge test and a vision test. The knowledge test can be given in written or oral form. Once you have passed those tests a CDL instruction permit will be issued and will remain valid for six months.
- You must provide a valid DOT medical certificate.
- You must complete a CDL application at your local Circuit Court Clerk’s office.
- After you have received your CDL instruction permit, you will be able to schedule a road skills test after 10 days. This test is administered by the Kentucky State police. If you fail to pass the road skills tests before your instruction permit expires, you will need to reapply for your CDL license.
- It will be your responsibility to provide the Division of Driver Licensing a copy of the 10 Year History Application before you will be issued a CDL permit or license.
Licensing fees for CDL training in Kentucky include the following:
- CDL application – $24
- CDL instruction permit – $11 (plus + $50.00 skills testing fee applied to applicants who have held a Kentucky operators permit/license for over 30 days, or $150.00 to applicants who have not held a Kentucky operators permit/license for over 30 days.)
- Original CDL – up to $40 (prorated fees according to current operator’s expiration)
- Renewal CDL – $47
- Transfer CDL – $47 unexpired; $71 expired; with motorcycle – $81
- Transfer CDL instruction permit – $55
- “S” restriction (school bus/mass transit/non-profit) – Original CDL – $32 Renewal – $32 (exempt from skills testing fees.)
In Kentucky, the Division of Driver Licensing has tried to make the process of obtaining your CDL a little more user-friendly. You can now go to the following website and download the CDL application: http://transportation.ky.gov/drlic. You can complete the form online and then print it out. You then have three options for submitting the application to the Division of Driver Licensing.
- Print, scan and email the application to KYTC.CDL@KY.GOV
- Mail the application to Division of Driver Licensing, 200 Mero St, Frankfort, KY 40622
- Fax it to the CDL Section at 502-564-3250.
For any questions or additional information about CDL training in Kentucky, please contact the Division of Driver Licensing at the following address:
Kentucky Transportation Cabinet
200 Mero Street
Frankfort, KY 40601
Phone: (502) 564-1257