The state of Montana allows for Type I certification which allows the driver to operate a commercial motor vehicle across state lines. The fee is $10 plus an additional $.50 for mailing the license renewal reminder.
Montana also offers Type 2 certification which allows a driver to operate a commercial motor vehicle only within the state of Montana. The fee for this certification is $8.50 plus an additional $.50 fee for mailing the license renewal reminder.
Listed below are some of the requirements for CDL training in Montana.
- You must be at least 18 years old. In order to transport materials across state lines, the minimum age is 21.
- You must have a valid Montana drivers license.
- You must pass a vision exam.
- You must be physically able to obtain a medical certificate.
- All applicants must pass a written knowledge exam and a driving test. The driving test must be taken in the same class of vehicle as the license for which you are applying.
- Depending on the type of truck you plan to drive or the cargo you intend to transport, there may be additional endorsements required. You will need an endorsement to drive a truck would air brakes, a tanker, a school bus, or a truck with double or triple trailers. Endorsements are required to transport passengers or if you plan to haul hazardous materials. If you will be transporting hazardous materials, you will also have to pass a Transportation Security Administration background check.
- Truck driving schools within the state of Montana are able to provide all the training and education needed to pass the Montana CDL requirements.
If you need additional information about CDL training in Montana, or if you have any questions, contact the Motor Vehicle Division of the Montana Department of Justice at the following address:
Motor Vehicle Division
Montana Department of Justice
303 N. Roberts
P.O. Box 201430
Helena, MT 59620-1430
You can also visit the website here: http://www.doj.mt.gov/driving/driverlicensingcommercial.asp
Interested applicants can download the manual by clicking on the following link: