Fees associated with CDL training in New Jersey include $42 for a four year commercial drivers license, plus an additional two dollars for each endorsement required. To obtain a CDL in New Jersey, applicants must meet the following requirements:You must be at least 18 years old.
- You must already have a basic New Jersey drivers license.
- Your vision must be 20/40 in each eye, with or without glasses or contacts.
- You cannot be colorblind.
- You must be physically fit. As a commercial driver, you will be required to carry a medical examiner fitness statement at all times, and it must be renewed every two years.
- It’s recommended to study the CDL manual ahead of time, before you begin CDL training in New Jersey.
- Applicants should go to their local MVC agency, where they will be asked to present a Social Security card for the initial commercial permit. You will also be required to pass the six point ID verification.
- You must pay the nonrefundable $125 CDL permit fee.
- You will be given a permit, a physical exam form, and a fingerprint card, all of which will need to be completed.
- If you need any endorsements you will apply for them at this time.
- You will be asked to take the CDL knowledge test as well as a road test.
The knowledge test will consist of 50 questions, of which you must answer at least 80% correctly in order to pass. There will be separate tests for any endorsements you may require. If you fail the test there is a seven-day waiting period before you are eligible to take it again. If you do not pass within 90 days you will need to renew your permit.
20 days after you have successfully pass the knowledge test, you can schedule an appointment to take the road test. The road test consists of three 20-minute parts, and a safety specialist will accompany you.
If you do not pass the CDL road test you must wait two weeks before you can retake it. If you have not passed after several attempts, you may be required to wait six months before trying again.
For additional information, or if you have other questions, contact the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission at the following address:
New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission
P.O. Box 160
Trenton, NJ 08666
You can also visit their website at the following URL:
The CDL manual can be downloaded at the following link: