- You will need to show an out-of-state CDL or your New Mexico drivers license.
- You will have to provide proof of identification number.
- You will also have to provide additional proof of identity, including your date of birth.
- You must prove you are a US citizen or have lawful permanent resident status in the US.
- You must provide two proofs of physical residency in New Mexico.
- You will need a USDOT Commercial Driver Medical Form, a Federal Medical Waiver Card, or some proof of employment by a government entity.
- You must provide the original of all these documents.
- All applicants must take the general knowledge test. You may be required to take more tests, depending on what class of license you want and what endorsements you need.
- After you pass all the required knowledge tests for your license and endorsements, you can then schedule your CDL skills test.
Additional knowledge tests that may be required include Passenger Transport, Air Brakes, Combination Vehicles, Hazardous Materials, Tankers, or Doubles/Triples.
The skills test will consist of pre-trip inspection, basic vehicle control, and on road driving. You will be required to take these tests in the same type of vehicle for which you wish to be licensed. The skills test can take up to two hours.
The pre-trip vehicle inspection will test your knowledge of whether or not you know when your vehicle is safe to drive. You will be required to do a pre-trip inspection and explain to the examiner what you are inspecting and why.
In the basic vehicle control test, your ability to control the vehicle will be tested. This may involve moving the vehicle forward, backward, or turning it within a specific area.
The on road test will gauge your ability to safely drive your vehicle in many different traffic situations. This may include turning left or right, managing intersections, railroad crossings, taking curves or hills, and driving on single or multi-lane roads.
If you still have questions or need more information about CDL training in New Mexico, you can contact the New Mexico Motor Vehicle Division at the following address:
New Mexico Motor Vehicle Division
Joseph Montoya Building
P.O. Box 1028
1100 South St. Francis Drive
Santa Fe NM 87504-1028
Telephone Toll Free: 888-683-4636 or 888-MVD-INFO
You can also visit the website at the following URL:
Interested applicants can also download the CDL manual by clicking on the following link: