- A $10 permit fee is required.
- You must provide your existing New York driver license.
- You must provide your Social Security card.
- You must complete an application form that will ask you to list every state in which you have held a license in the past 10 years.
- You must meet certain federal medical requirements and provide the medical examiner’s licensing number. Without a medical certificate, your commercial driving may be limited to schoolbuses or city vehicles.
- You must pledge they your license has not been revoked or suspended in any state, including New York.
- You will be required to take and successfully pass all New York tests that apply to your license class and the necessary endorsement requirements.
- Applicants must meet New York driver record eligibility requirements as laid out by the state.
- Before the state will issue a CDL temporary instruction permit, you must take and successfully pass all the required knowledge and vision tests.
- You must pay all the New York CDL fees required for your license.
- After you have passed the knowledge and vision tests, you must schedule, take, and pass the CDL skills test for New York.
For additional information contact the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles at 1-518-474-9981.
Interested applicants may download the CDL manual by clicking on the following link: