- When applying for a CDL license you must show proof of your Social Security number as well as your US citizenship.
- You must provide a Tennessee driver’s license or state ID, or a valid drivers license from another state.
- CDL applicants must have a valid DOT medical card.
- You will be asked to show two forms of proof of your residency in Tennessee.
- In order for the state of Tennessee to issue a CDL to you, you must take and successfully pass a general knowledge test.
- You must also pass a three-part skills test, which will consist of a pre-trip inspection, basic control maneuvers, and a road test.
- It is strongly recommended that you download and study the CDL manual. While the manual is not a substitute for driver training or any truck driver program, it can assist you in passing the required tests. A download link is provided below for your convenience.
If you need additional information about CDL training in Tennessee, contact the Tennessee Department of Safety and Homeland Security.
Visit the website: http://www.tn.gov/safety/driverlicense/cdlalt.shtml
Download the manual: http://www.tn.gov/safety/dlhandbook/09cdl01.pdf
Tennessee Department of Safety
PO BOX 945
Nashville, TN 37202
Toll Free: 1-866-849-3548