- You must be 18 years of age and meet all the requirements for a regular Virginia drivers license. At 18 years old you will be limited to operating a commercial vehicle only within the state of Virginia.
- To transport cargo or hazardous materials in a commercial vehicle across state lines, you must be at least 21 years of age.
- You will be required to fill out an application for CDL instruction permit. This is not available online at this time, but if you send a written request to the DMV they will mail it to you.
- You will submit your application for your license and permit in person at a DMV Customer Service Center. The temporary permit is required for you to operate a commercial vehicle under supervision as you are learning to drive.
- First-time applicants must have the permit for 30 days before they are eligible to take the on road driving test.
- You will be asked for two forms of identity, proof of your legal presence in the US, as well as proof of Virginia residency.
- You must present proof of your Social Security number. The DMV will not accept documents that have been altered or photocopies.
- Depending on the class of license you are applying for and which endorsements you require, you will have to take and successfully pass one or more written knowledge tests.
- The CDL knowledge tests can be taken once per business day. If you do not pass, there is a $2.00 fee for re-examination if the test is retaken within 15 days.
- Once you have passed the required knowledge tests, you are eligible to take the CDL skills test. The skills test will take about 90 minutes and is broken down into three areas of general skills. Each test must be performed in the same type of commercial vehicle for which you wish to be licensed. The skills tests includes a Pre-Trip Vehicle Inspection, Basic Vehicle Control, and an
On-road Driving Test.
For additional information about CDL training in Virginia, visit the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles website:
You can use the following link to download the Virginia CDL manual: