- You must be 18 years of age to operate a commercial vehicle within the state of Wyoming, and 21 years of age to operate a commercial vehicle between states.
- You will be required to provide legal proof of identification.
- You must take and successfully pass a written knowledge test, a vision screening test, and a driving skills test.
- Depending on the class of license for which you are applying as well as the endorsements that you require, additional knowledge tests may also be required.
- The written knowledge tests are given in multiple-choice format, and you must answer at least 80% of the questions correctly in order to pass.
- If you fail one version of a written test, you are allowed to take another version of the test on the same day, but each version can only be taken one time per day.
- In order to pass the vision screening, you must have a vision reading of 20/40 in both eyes, with or without corrective lenses. If you wear these corrective lenses during the vision screening, you will be required to wear them any time you are operating your commercial vehicle.
- If you do not meet the required vision reading of 20/40 in both eyes, your license will contain an “outside mirror” restriction and you will only be allowed to drive within the state of Wyoming.
- The skills test consists of three parts; pre-trip inspection, basic control skills, and on the road driving skills. Appointments must be made to take your skills test and all written tests must be successfully completed first.
- You will be expected to provide the vehicle you will be tested in and it must be representative of the same class as the license for which you are applying. It should be driven to the test site by someone who has a valid driver’s license for that class and type of vehicle.
If you still have questions or would like additional information about CDL training in Wyoming, you can contact the Wyoming Department of Transportation at 307-772-2305 or visit the website at the link below.
You can also download the Wyoming CDL manual by clicking on the following link: